Welcome & Disclaimer

These recipes are geared toward a DS-friendly diet. They are usually high fat, high protein, low carb, low sugar.

I did not write or configure any of the recipes posted here. I am not a chef. I copied and pasted the recipes from public DS forums to make them easier to access and search.

Feel free to leave suggestions or send a new recipe to be posted.

Thanks!

-vangy

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Low Carb Brownies

This is my lower-carb version of one of the Moosewood Cookbook's chocolate brownie recipes. I'm not a mathematician - nor do I play one in my backyard - but according to the package, the amount ground filberts I used should have about 8.5 g of protein and none of the useless carbs of wheat flour - 2/3 of the carbs in the filberts (aka hazelnuts) are fiber. One ounce of unsweetened chocolate has about 8 grams of carbohydrate, a little over half of which is fiber, and has 2.92 g of protein per square.

You need only a saucepan, a spoon, a measuring cup and a brownie pan. This couldn't be easier and the results are pretty darn tasty, says my husband.

Chocolate Indulgence

1/2 c butter
3 1 oz squares of unsweetened chocolate

Melt these over low heat in a sauce pan while stirring.
Remove from heat and add:

1/2 c (+2-3 tblsp. if it's humid or if you are using splenda) ground filberts, walnuts or almonds
2-3 beaten eggs
1 cup brown sugar or splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract

Blend thoroughly and pour into a buttered 8X8 glass or metal square pan. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, a bit longer if you want more cake-like brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment