Welcome & Disclaimer

These recipes are geared toward a DS-friendly diet. They are usually high fat, high protein, low carb, low sugar.

I did not write or configure any of the recipes posted here. I am not a chef. I copied and pasted the recipes from public DS forums to make them easier to access and search.

Feel free to leave suggestions or send a new recipe to be posted.

Thanks!

-vangy

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Quiche Lorraine

This is my favorite breakfast food by far, as it reheats really well in the microwave.  Quiche Lorraine is no more than bacon and onion quiche.  I don't always have hard and fast measurements, so feel free to adjust to your own preferences.  I use a huge 12" ceramic quiche pan, so if you're using a standard pie plate for your quiche, you will have to cut the recipe down by a third or so, just to compensate.

I use:

a pound of bacon
10-12 oz of swiss (or gruyere, if you're feeling wealthy on any given day), grated
a large white onion
salt, pepper, thyme

6 eggs
about 2 c. heavy cream
about 1/2 c. milk (I use whole milk)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

First, cut the raw bacon into 1" squares, and scatter them all about a very large frying pan on medium-high heat (6.5-7 on my electric stove).  While this is cooking slowly, rendering its grease, slice or chop the onion to your preference - I prefer a very coarsely chopped onion.  Don't forget to stir your bacon, or it'll burn!

When your bacon's cooked, remove it to a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up the grease, and drain all but about 3 tablespoons of the grease out of the pan.  Drop in the chopped onion.  Saute the onion until it's nice and soft.  Add salt, pepper, and thyme.

Shred your cheese (I buy mine in a block and shred it in my food processor) and strew it around your quiche dish.  Mix in the bacon bits and sauteed onion until you've got a nicely homogeneous mixture.

In a big bowl, beat the eggs, then slowly add the cream and milk, beating until they're combined.  Season with more thyme if you like (I like!).  Pour this gently over the ingredients in the quiche dish.  Bake this in the middle of your oven for about 30 minutes, or until a butter knife tip inserted in the middle comes out clean.

I let it cool, then cut it into 6 wedges (because I'm 3.75 years out and can EAT!  You can cut it into however many wedges you like.), which I store separated by waxed paper in a big tupperware/rubbermaid container.  I take one out every morning, reheat it in the microwave, and enjoy a nearly-carb-free breakfast that's loaded with protein and fat.

It's also good for lunch or dinner with a nice green salad.  You can change it up and add mushrooms & spinach if your tastes run to green things and fungus (mine don't).  You can change the cheese to cheddar, the meat to breakfast sausage from a tube (think Jimmy Dean), and the spices to just salt & pepper and make a great sausage casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment